Here’s a gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly chicken tortilla soup! Anyway, who needs beans when there’s plenty of flavor!
- 2 large chicken breasts, skin removed and cut into ½ inch strips
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 32oz organic chicken broth
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, de-seeded and diced
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped fine
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- dash of olive oil
- 1-2 cups water
In a crockpot or large dutch oven over med-high heat, place a dash of olive oil and about ¼ cup chicken broth. Begin to add onions, garlic, jalapeno, sea salt and pepper and cook until soft, adding more broth as needed.
Then, add all of your remaining ingredients and enough water to fill to the top of your pot. Cover and let cook on low for about 2 hrs, adjusting salt & pepper as needed.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, you should be able to shred it very easily. Simply use the back of a wooden spoon and press the cooked chicken against the side of the pot. Also, you could use a fork or tongs to break the chicken apart and into shreds.
Lastly, top with avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
This is an easy one-pot meal that’s loaded with veggies, low in fat, and full of flavor.
Recipe, Picture & Instructions Credit: Linda Wagner